HOW TO FIT
Full fitting instructions must be read prior to attempting to fit any window film.
You must ensure that you have received the correct width, length and type of film you ordered.
Applications are NOT RECOMMENDED in the following situations:-
- When outside temperatures are below freezing or in very bright direct sunlight.
- To rough cast glass surfaces.
TOOLS REQUIRED - Washing up liquid, Spray bottle, Squeegee, Craft knife, Glass scraper, Straight edge, Tape measure, Soft lint free cloth.
WINDOW FILM is a very thin sheet of material that requires handling with great care. Creasing & folding must be avoided. As with aluminium foil, once creased, the film will remain creased and therefore cannot be returned. Applications need to be carried out in a draught & dust free situation.
PREPARATION & PRE-CLEANING are vitally important & care must be taken to flush any dirt particles out of the window frame. Some airborne dust may get under the film, but this is difficult to avoid completely & it’s presence will not affect the performance of the installation.
DURING DRYING OUT some haziness will be evident & this will disappear & dry out over a 2-4 week period.
CLEANING as you would for normal windows but not until 2 weeks after installation & always with a soft leather or cloth and clean water, never use any abrasive cleaners or cleaners that contain amonia.
1. WINDOW PREPARATION :-
- Make up the slip solution in spray bottle (1 tsp washing up liquid to 1 pint cold water).
- Thoroughly wash glass with slip solution & squeegee dry.
- Remove paint, varnish or other foreign matter with a scraper.
- Spray glass with slip solution & squeegee out, checking that the glass surface is very clean & dust free.
2. FILM HANDLING :-
- Adhesive surface is protected between ‘window film’ and liner.
- Window film may be cut to approximate size with a very sharp blade or scissors. It is recommended that the film be cut at least 1/2” longer & wider than the glass. You are now ready to apply the film to the glass.
Note: Separate a corner of the ‘window film’ and liner with 2 small pieces of adhesive tape on either side of the product.
3. FILM APPLICATION :-
- Thoroughly wet the glass with the slip solution, this will hold the film in place whilst you remove the clear liner.
- Place film on wet glass with liner facing you. From the ready seperated corner carefully peel off the liner. Spray the adhesive surface generously with the slip solution ( you cannot apply too much solution).
- Carefully reverse film on to the glass so that the adhesive side is now in contact with the glass. Note: Keep film taut and straight, do not allow film to curl up on itself or to wrinkle. A crease or wrinkle will not flatten out on application.
- Position the film by gently sliding on wet surface and smoothing out large air bubbles.
Ensure all glass area is covered by the film with slight overlap on all sides.
4. SQUEEGEE TECHNIQUE :-
- Spray the film with the slip solution to give slip for the squeegee.
- The first stroke should be horizontal across the top of the window.
- The next stroke should be downwards from one edge with succeeding strokes working down and away from the first strokes.
- On final squeegee of the top & bottom edges the squeegee may be pushed towards the edges to remove any excess water.
- If a particle is trapped behind the film, carefully lift the film from the nearest corner & remove the particle. Before replacing the film, spray sufficient slip solution to thoroughly wet the glass & film. Replace the film & re-squeegee.
5. FILM TRIMMING :-
- Using a straight edge (should have about 1/8” thickness), place it on end at the edge of the window.
- Trim the film using a razor blade of craft knife so that there is a margin width of the straight edge of about 1/8”.
- Repeat for each edge of the window.
- After trimming remove excess film.
- Repeat entire squeegee procedure. A firm pressure is necessary to effect a strong bond.
- You can then firmly push down all edges with a hard card or credit card wrapped in tissue.
Important note to customer: Sellers and manufacturers only obligation shall be to replace such quantity of the product proved to be defective prior to fitting. Neither seller nor manufacturer shall be liable for any injury, loss or damage, direct or consequential, arising out of the use of or the inability to use the product. Laws must be adhered to when applying to vehicles.